Manage episode 340845909 series 2711019
In servitude to a higher power and with a mysterious brand to show for it, Ben and Tao dominate multiple characters (and creatures), fill their posse, and ride hard all over the weird west in Wild West twin stick shooter, action RPG, supernatural spin-off: Weird West. And that infantile summary is in no way representative of the content herein. Tumbleweed tumbles. Dust billows. High noon rings out from a nearby bell tower. “There ain’t enough room in this personality for the both of us!” calls a voice, and Ben and Tao face off, eyes narrowed, hands hovering at gun belts, ready to quickdraw. They discuss in-game reputation; aim and controller systems; the role of incentives in gaming; loot, upgrades and skill trees in RPGs in general and if isometric RPGs face a unique difficulty in world building; independent journalism and the role of critics in general. Plus, Tao reveals a personal connection to the devs. Sorta. Basic story spoilers from around half way through, plus a major story spoiler (the ending!) which is very clearly flagged in advance.
Content Warning: PEGI 15. Strong language and strong opinions from the start. And a Trump quote, for which we are very sorry.
* Interestingly, after both Ben and Tao criticised the gaming controls and aiming system - the devs just announced they’re releasing a new aim mode. There’s no suggestion these things are related.
* The film to which Tao refers depicting violent Native Americans is Bone Tomahawk (2015).
* We still don’t know if it’s possible to recruit Across Rivers to your posse if he is corrupted by the Spirit of Greed during his storyline.
* ITV Take Me Out - TV Show theme and intro feat. Paddy McGuinness
* Bite Your Crush - Monster Prom OST
* The Wanted - I Found You (as heard in ITVs Take Me Out)
* Calamity Jane from ‘Deadwood’
* The former and possibly soon to be incarcerated President of the US
* Ly O Lay Ale Loya (Circle Dance)
* Vince Noir from The Mighty Boosh says, ‘Oh Yeah’
* Weird West OST performed by Weird Wolves and Choose Hellth
* Arcanum - Main Theme from OST
* Spider-man (2002)
* Baldur's Gate - Main Theme from OST
* DISHONORED - Main Theme by Daniel Licht
* The Pink Panther theme song by Henry Mancini
* The Sword of a Thousand Truths - South Park
* I Need A Dollar - song by Aloe Blacc
* Dragon Age 2 - Main theme from OST
* Dollar - song by Electric Guest
* One Pound Fish! Meme song. Turns out this guy made a music video out of this meme. All the power to him:
* Morrowind OST - main theme
* Commandos: Beyond The Call Of Duty main menu music
* Commandos character voices
* Desperados 3 OST - main theme
* Game creator, Raphael Colantonio, talks about implementing the aiming system and how it nearly broke the game’s development. More in this Gamespot vid
* Nuclear Throne OST - main theme
* Options - song by Gomez
* Fallout 3 Soundtrack - I don't want to set the World on Fire’
* Bodied (2017) - brilliant film, check it out if you didn’t already
* Bone Tomahawk (2015)
* Jeannie's Diary - song by Eels
* Death Stranding OST - main theme
* Wolcen: Lords of Mayhem OST
Get full access to Pixel Vision at www.pixelvision.net/subscribe