Manage episode 371174295 series 2608979
A man got burned by blacks he sought to help. "Never again!" Thoughts? Through patient endurance you win your soul.
Archive Sunday Service, July 13, 2014: Jesse Lee Peterson recounts visiting Alabama over the Fourth of July weekend, for a school reunion. A couple people picked fights with him over his views. One young entrepreneur told Jesse he set out to help black people with his business, but stopped after some nasty accusations from people he helped. Some of the men and women in church react to the "stereotype" the young businessman embraced toward his own race. A hard-working young black woman in the meeting says she deals with people seemingly mistaking her for the secretary. //
Finally we read from Luke 21: 19, which states that through patient endurance possess ye your souls. Wait and see in life and challenges. Let go of knowledge, of thinking you know or assuming you understand. // Question for next week: Should we fear God? //
* 0:00:00 Pre-service intro
* 0:00:28 Welcome: Exploring Your Faith
* 0:00:55 Alabama class reunion
* 0:02:28 JLP attacked
* 0:04:55 Other events in Alabama
* 0:05:37 Story of young black businessman
* 0:08:14 Feedback: Wrong attitude. Discrimination!
* 0:14:56 Laziness, bias from parents, bad experiences
* 0:19:01 Young black woman's response: Stereotype
* 0:24:14 Don't assume to make a judgment
* 0:29:09 "Mean mama" made no assumptions!
* 0:29:43 People are fighting amongst one another
* 0:30:26 Another friend wanted to help black people
* 0:31:31 Many successful black people say similar
* 0:33:05 Mindset of helping each other
* 0:34:26 Unaccompanied Alien Children (UACs) crisis
* 0:35:15 Feedback on helping "the children"
* 0:39:26 Manipulation using "the children"
* 0:43:04 Dangerous isolationism attitude?
* 0:47:00 Luke 21: 19, In patience possess ye your souls
* 0:47:50 Through patient endurance you possess the soul
* 0:51:01 JLP: Challenges in life; wait and see
* 0:55:42 Feedback: Wait and see yourself
* 0:58:19 JLP: Let go of knowledge; never assume you got it
* 0:59:18 Q for next week: Should we fear God?
MUSIC: "Changes" (unreleased track) by Jon Parfitt / Bright Lights
PODCAST by BOND Substack
Church fellowship at BOND Sunday 11 AM PT (1 CT / 2 ET) - rebuildingtheman.com/church
Get full access to BOND at rebuildingtheman.substack.com/subscribe