Ep 50. Holiday Health
Manage episode 349627369 series 3304654
The holidays and Christmas time can be a wonderful time with holiday cheer and taking stock of your blessings. For many though, it can be the most stressful time of the year.
Research shows that cardiac death rates are highest around Christmas and New Year's - the two weeks throughout the holidays (between Christmas and New Year's Eve) more people die of natural causes than what is normal for winter months. (Naveed Saleh, MD).
It's an easy time to overindulge, but you don't have to steer your diet and health habits off course. It IS possible to survive the holiday season without expanding your waist line, getting that holiday bulge or dealing with overwhelm and stress.
Lifestyle Strategies for self care
1) Sleep - listen to episode 16 for more information
2) Work Duties/projects - lighten your load. Decrease screentime (checking emails, social media, etc - only one specific time period in a day). Listen to fun podcasts instead ;-) Try alternative activities - singing (good for breathing), laughing (watch comedies, see friends/family for fun), kissing under the mistletoe etc
3) Exercise - take regular breaks for walking, skating/skiing, or perhaps luging
4) Meditation - time out/mindful practices/breathe deeply/visualize
- be mindful of pitfalls with overindulging.
- think of office culture - lots of sweets, baked goods, donuts etc around for snacking on throughout the day; plan ahead and make wise choices
- don't skip meals that day to 'save up' for buffet or restaurant meal
- eat a regular breakfast and have something with protein for lunch to help keep blood sugars stable throughout day, even though you are eating out. Keep your rhythm with regular meals, so, you are less likely to overdo it and overeat and feel awful.
Strategies while ordering:
- order grill vs fried/breaded/deep fried
- sides - salad/vegetables vs fries/potato
- tomato-based pasta vs cream-based pasta sauces
- broth or tomato-base soups vs cream based soups and chowders
- baked potato - order salsa instead of butter or sour cream or cheese/bacon
Traveling - by vehicle
Pack a cooler - fruit/vegetables/trail mix/wraps, yogurt drinks, etc.
Balancing work and family with selfcare and personal wellbeing will help with rest and recuperation
Enjoying the show? Consider donating , leaving a 5 star review (if you loved it!), and/or sharing this episode with your friends and family :)
Don't forget to visit our social media pages as well. You can find us on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube
Your support helps fuel the stoke and keeps the show going strong every week. Thanks!