International Day of People with Disability
Manage episode 348410171 series 2763404
Disability Action Week and International Day of People with Disability are a time to celebrate how far we've come in access, inclusion, and respect for people with disability. It's also a time to reflect on the work still to be done, to build a community where everyone is included and welcome, and their contributions recognised and valued.
Employment is one area where there's been a lot of work done, but still much more to go. Employment and entrepreneurship for people with disability brings the dignity of taking a calculated risk, the pride of a job done well, access to the community, and the freedom of financial independence.
In this episode we meet four people with disability who are turning their career dreams into reality: personal trainer Shane Falconer, journalist and radio producer Braeden Jason, freelance virtual assistant Justine Fox, and nature photographer Michelle Taylor-Holmes.
- International Day of People with Disability information on the Carers Queensland website: https://carersqld.com.au/idpwd/
- International Day of People with Disability website: https://www.idpwd.com.au/
- Disability Action Week website: https://www.qld.gov.au/disability/community/awards-events/disability-action-week
- Shane Falconer's story: https://carersqld.com.au/shane-is-living-a-fit-and-full-life/
- Braeden Jason's story: https://carersqld.com.au/sunshine-coasts-braedan-set-for-commonwealth-games-glory/
- Justine Fox's story: https://carersqld.com.au/justine-takes-her-business-to-the-next-level-with-the-ndis/
- Michelle Taylor-Holmes' story: https://carersqld.com.au/michelle-credits-her-disability-with-enhancing-her-photography-skills/
- Be Your Own Boss microbusiness program: https://carersqld.com.au/ndis/inclusion-projects/be-your-own-boss/
- Carers Queensland upcoming events and workshops: www.carersqld.com.au/events
- Carers Queensland NDIS on Facebook: www.facebook.com/CarersQueenslandNDIS
- Register for LAC Connect: https://carersqld.com.au/lac-connect-signup/
- Interviews: Fiona Stutz & Emily Smith
- Production: Jodie van de Wetering